Questions and discussion about developing processes and programming in PHP, JavaScript, web services & REST API.
Forum rules: Please search to see if a question has already asked before creating a new topic. Please don't post the same question in multiple forums.
By daBoomKing
Hi All

I'm not really sure if I need to worry about preventing SQL injection or if that's already taken care of by the native PHP code? I have third party users on the system and I want to make sure its being kept as secure as possible.

Thanks a lot
Andrew
By amosbatto
I looked into the code to see what is happening with dependent fields. If you reference a field as @#fieldID or @=fieldID in your SQL query, then you have no protection. If you reference it as @@fieldID, then the problematic characters which can be used in SQL injection attacks are escaped with \ (backslash) and all \ in the text are stripped. (In my opinion, this is not correct because \ should become \\, but stripping \ makes it safe.)

If you set the value of a field with JavaScript to "\n,\r,\0,',\",\\,\x1a,\xc8" (which are the problematic characters in MySQL), then the query in MySQL will be "\n,\r,\0,\',\",,\Z,É" (note that \ is stripped).

If needing to use an integer or a decimal number in an SQL query, then reference the field as @@fieldID and use the CAST() function to convert to an integer or decimal, like this:
Code: Select all
SELECT X, Y FROM Z WHERE AMOUNT > CAST(@@amount AS DECIMAL(10,2)) OR 
QUANTITY <= CAST(@@quantity AS UNSIGNED)
If using executeQuery() in a trigger and using data from a Dynaform field which is entered by the user, then you need to pass that data through a function like mysql_real_escape_string() for MySQL databases:
Code: Select all
$var1 = mysql_real_escape_string(@@var1); 
$sql = "SELECT X, Y FROM Z WHERE A='$var1'";
executeQuery($sql);
This code will work for PM Tables. It will also work for external MySQL databases, which also use the UTF-8 character just like ProcessMaker's wf_<WORKSPACE> database. If they use another character set, then you need to login to that database so mysql_real_escape_string() knows which character set your database is using.

For other databases, you can use addslashes() instead of mysql_real_escape_string(), but it doesn't provide complete protection. For example, if using MS SQL Server, see this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5748 ... -using-php

The other solution is to use PDO for your database queries in triggers.

By the way, I have filed a bug report asking for a PMFEscape() function that escapes strings using the correct character set for the database connection, so this should eventually get fixed.
By daBoomKing
Hi Amosbatto

Thanks a lot, appreciate the info. For me, its a lot to take in as I manage the processmaker as someone that's not a developer. With that in mind, I'm not sure I ever saw anything in the documentation about managing security. I had thought that the focus on making developing processes simple meant that security was being handled from within the core of PM.

I wonder how many people are unaware of the requirements to handle this themselves? Is security explained in the official docs anywhere?

Kind Regards
Andrew
By amosbatto
There is no document explaining this, although we do have a warning about needing to use mysql_real_escape_string() with executeQuery(). Basically, I had to dig through the code to figure out what ProcessMaker is doing. All of this will be fixed when PM switches to a new version of Propel, but I don't expect that to happen for another year.
Want to create your own meme coin?

In the world of cryptocurrencies, a unique and exc[…]

The market for cryptocurrencies is demonstrating a[…]

What's SAP FICO?

Embarking on a dissertation can be one of the most[…]

Hello. For rental housing, there are software solu[…]